Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Keys to the Olympic women’s hockey final

Keys to the Olympic women’s hockey final

February 18, 2026
Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

February 18, 2026
Canada defeats Czechia in Olympic quarterfinal

Canada defeats Czechia in Olympic quarterfinal

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview
Entertainment

Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview

By favofcanada.caFebruary 18, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email
Stephen Colbert hits back at CBS bosses in dispute over unaired interview

Stephen Colbert isn’t backing down in an extraordinary public dispute with his bosses at CBS over what he can air on his late-night talk show.

On The Late Show Tuesday, Colbert said he was surprised by a statement from CBS denying that its lawyers told him he couldn’t show an interview with Democratic Texas Senate candidate James Talarico — which the host said had happened the night before.

He then took a copy of the network statement, wrapped it in a dog poop bag, and tossed it away.

Colbert had instead shown his Talarico interview on YouTube, but told viewers why he couldn’t show it on CBS. The network was concerned about FCC Chairman Brendan Carr trying to enforce a rule that required broadcasters to give “equal time” to opposing candidates when an interview was broadcast with one of them.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

“We looked and we can’t find one example of this rule being enforced for any talk show interview, not only for my entire late-night career, but for anyone’s late-night career going back to the 1960s,” Colbert said.

Although Carr said in January he was thinking about getting rid of the exemption for late-night talk shows, he hadn’t done it yet. “But CBS generously did it for him,” Colbert said.

Not only had CBS been aware Monday night that Colbert was going to talk about this issue publicly, its lawyers had even approved it in his script, he said. That’s why he was surprised by the statement, which said that Colbert had been provided “legal guidance” that broadcasting the interview could trigger the equal time rule.

“I don’t know what this is about,” Colbert said. “For the record, I’m not even mad. I really don’t want an adversarial relationship with the network. I’ve never had one.”

He said he was “just so surprised that this giant global corporation would not stand up to these bullies.”

CBS is owned by Paramount Global.

Colbert is a short-timer now at CBS. The network announced last summer that Colbert’s show, where President Donald Trump is a frequent target of biting jokes, would end in May. The network said it was for economic reasons but others — including Colbert — have expressed skepticism that Trump’s repeated criticism of the show had nothing to do with it.

This week’s dispute with Colbert also recalls last fall, when ABC took late-night host Jimmy Kimmel off the air for a remark made about the killing of conservative activist founder Charlie Kirk, only to reinstate him following a backlash by viewers.

As of Wednesday morning, Colbert’s YouTube interview with Talarico had been viewed more than five million times, or roughly double what the comic’s CBS program draws each night. The Texas Democrat also reported that he had raised $2.5 million in campaign donations in the 24 hours after the interview.


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Related Articles

James Van Der Beek renewed wedding vows with wife in bed days before death

James Van Der Beek renewed wedding vows with wife in bed days before death

By favofcanada.caFebruary 18, 2026
Natalie Spooner takes on Olympic Village food

Natalie Spooner takes on Olympic Village food

By favofcanada.caFebruary 17, 2026
Shia LaBeouf arrested after fight during Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Shia LaBeouf arrested after fight during Mardi Gras in New Orleans

By favofcanada.caFebruary 17, 2026
Austria files terrorism charges in plot to attack Taylor Swift show

Austria files terrorism charges in plot to attack Taylor Swift show

By favofcanada.caFebruary 16, 2026
Robert Duvall, ‘The Godfather’ actor, dead at 95

Robert Duvall, ‘The Godfather’ actor, dead at 95

By favofcanada.caFebruary 16, 2026
Someone wants Kurt Cobain’s death investigated as a homicide. This has to stop

Someone wants Kurt Cobain’s death investigated as a homicide. This has to stop

By favofcanada.caFebruary 15, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

By favofcanada.caFebruary 18, 2026

Canada is launching new Express Entry immigration streams for permanent residents to meet the future…

Canada defeats Czechia in Olympic quarterfinal

Canada defeats Czechia in Olympic quarterfinal

February 18, 2026
Quebec father who drowned his children tells jury he has no memory of killings

Quebec father who drowned his children tells jury he has no memory of killings

February 18, 2026
Five things to watch on Thursday, Feb. 19

Five things to watch on Thursday, Feb. 19

February 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
James Van Der Beek renewed wedding vows with wife in bed days before death

James Van Der Beek renewed wedding vows with wife in bed days before death

By favofcanada.caFebruary 18, 2026
Ontario Line opening date uncertain, construction to be finished in ‘early 2030s’

Ontario Line opening date uncertain, construction to be finished in ‘early 2030s’

By favofcanada.caFebruary 18, 2026
Underdog story: Surprise canine steals show in Olympic cross-country race

Underdog story: Surprise canine steals show in Olympic cross-country race

By favofcanada.caFebruary 18, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Keys to the Olympic women’s hockey final

Keys to the Olympic women’s hockey final

February 18, 2026
Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

Canada opens new residency paths for military recruits, other workers

February 18, 2026
Canada defeats Czechia in Olympic quarterfinal

Canada defeats Czechia in Olympic quarterfinal

February 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.