Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Major streamers must pay 15% of revenues to Canadian content, CRTC says

Major streamers must pay 15% of revenues to Canadian content, CRTC says

May 21, 2026
Should Canada consider travel bans like U.S. is doing amid Ebola outbreak?

Should Canada consider travel bans like U.S. is doing amid Ebola outbreak?

May 21, 2026
Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

May 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » All Ontario freedom of information requests on pause in wake of Ford government changes
News

All Ontario freedom of information requests on pause in wake of Ford government changes

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
All Ontario freedom of information requests on pause in wake of Ford government changes
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

Ontario civil servants processing freedom of information documents within the Ford government have been told to pause their work, putting thousands of transparency requests in limbo.

A message sent to senior staff within the government’s access to information departments before the Victoria Day long weekend told them to stop releasing all official communications.

Under Ontario law, freedom of information requests allow the public access to a wide variety of government information, which must be released on a set schedule for a fee.

Sources told Global News the message had been sent via Microsoft Teams, rather than through an official memo, instructing a pause on all fee estimates, extensions, decision letters and the release of documents.

Global News is not naming the sources as they were not authorized to publicly discuss the freedom of information pause.

The total pause on transparency requests comes after the Ford government rewrote freedom of information rules to exclude all communications and other documents held by the premier, his cabinet and all of their political staff.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

Those rules were tabled through the provincial budget in March, which was rushed past the committee hearings and into law through a late-night sitting.

The pause, Global News understands, is at least partly prompted by the confusion and questions the changes have created.

Government lawyers are still figuring out the finer details of how the law will be applied and how to fight potential appeals, meaning official guidance on how to interpret requests still isn’t ready.

Until that advice is drafted and approved, the freeze will likely remain in place.

A version of the communication sent out was obtained by The Trillium, which said it applied to all freedom of information departments.

Ontario NDP Leader Marit Stiles said the change was “outrageous” after other revisions had already been made to transparency laws.


“It sounds to me like a government that’s using the new legal changes — the changes that they made to hide their own records from the public’s view — that they’re using those changes as an excuse to obliterate access to any information now,” she said.

“What that means is less transparency, less accountability from a government that clearly has something to hide.”

Ontario Liberal interim leader John Fraser called the move a “shakedown” of the transparency system.

“Freedom of information is not optional,” he wrote in a statement. “It does not go on breaks. It is a right that belongs to every person in this province.”

The government did not respond to questions from Global News ahead of publication.

The effects of the undefined pause are unclear.

The government’s current freedom of information laws require responses to requests within 30 days; an order can be sought to force the ministry to comply if it doesn’t in time.

The Information and Privacy Commission, which oversees freedom of information laws in the province and would issue those orders, did not respond to questions ahead of publication.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related Articles

Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
RCMP watchdog says police mishandled every part of case involving woman later killed

RCMP watchdog says police mishandled every part of case involving woman later killed

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
Retirement, savings take a hit among parents struggling with child-care costs

Retirement, savings take a hit among parents struggling with child-care costs

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
Progress, but work left to do in reform to Quebec youth protection system: minister

Progress, but work left to do in reform to Quebec youth protection system: minister

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
Taxi, ride-hailing drivers brace for World Cup traffic and antsy passengers

Taxi, ride-hailing drivers brace for World Cup traffic and antsy passengers

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
Potentially flammable pyjamas for kids are being recalled in Canada

Potentially flammable pyjamas for kids are being recalled in Canada

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Should Canada consider travel bans like U.S. is doing amid Ebola outbreak?

Should Canada consider travel bans like U.S. is doing amid Ebola outbreak?

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026

After U.S. travel restrictions stemming from the Ebola outbreak forced a commercial flight to divert…

Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

May 21, 2026
All Ontario freedom of information requests on pause in wake of Ford government changes

All Ontario freedom of information requests on pause in wake of Ford government changes

May 21, 2026
RCMP watchdog says police mishandled every part of case involving woman later killed

RCMP watchdog says police mishandled every part of case involving woman later killed

May 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
Bruce Springsteen says Colbert was cancelled because Trump ‘can’t take a joke’

Bruce Springsteen says Colbert was cancelled because Trump ‘can’t take a joke’

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
Retirement, savings take a hit among parents struggling with child-care costs

Retirement, savings take a hit among parents struggling with child-care costs

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
These are the Canadian regions with the highest rates of breast cancer

These are the Canadian regions with the highest rates of breast cancer

By favofcanada.caMay 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Major streamers must pay 15% of revenues to Canadian content, CRTC says

Major streamers must pay 15% of revenues to Canadian content, CRTC says

May 21, 2026
Should Canada consider travel bans like U.S. is doing amid Ebola outbreak?

Should Canada consider travel bans like U.S. is doing amid Ebola outbreak?

May 21, 2026
Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

Serial Nova Scotia fraudster sentenced to 4.5 years in prison for forgery, impersonation

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.