Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » Suspected illegal campfire blamed for Kalamoir Park wildfire as safety concerns remain
News

Suspected illegal campfire blamed for Kalamoir Park wildfire as safety concerns remain

By favofcanada.caJune 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
Suspected illegal campfire blamed for Kalamoir Park wildfire as safety concerns remain
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

Investigators believe an illegal campfire sparked the wildfire that tore through West Kelowna’s Kalamoir Regional Park earlier this week, forcing hundreds of residents from their homes and scorching more than nine hectares of land.

“RCMP come up to me and he said, ‘You have one minute sir to leave and the fire is 500 yards from your front door,’” said area resident Bert Legault. “People panicked.”

The wildfire, which quickly grew to more than nine hectares due to strong winds, erupted Tuesday on the south side of the roughly 30-hectare park.

While the wildfire has now been extinguished, officials say significant hazards remain throughout the park, which remains closed to the public.

“The fire was pretty unexpected,” said Wayne Darlington, manager of parks capital planning and asset management with the Regional District of Central Okanagan (RDCO).

Darlington toured the burned area with Global News, pointing out numerous dangers left behind by the fire, including unstable terrain, hazardous trees and hidden ash pits.

“We have trees that are burnt that potentially could fall, injure, harm people,” Darlington said. “We have rocks that are potentially broken, as a result of the heat of the fire, that could tumble down and injure people. We have burn holes on the sides of the trails, where a tree used to stand and we call them ash pits.”

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

Officials estimate roughly one-third of the park was burned.

However, West Kelowna’s fire chief  said the damage could have been much worse if not for fuel mitigation work carried out in previous years.

“This is a fire that we have planned for decades,” said West Kelowna Fire Chief Jason Brolund earlier this week. “The regional district has done wildfire mitigation work in the park for a day like today and it proved its worth.”


Geotechnical specialists and hazard-tree experts are expected to conduct a detailed assessment of the park early next week to determine the full extent of the damage and whether portions of the park can safely reopen.

For now, the public is being urged to stay away from the park and the many hidden hazards that exist within it.

“We have concern over public safety and public safety is our number one thing,” Darlington said.

Officials are reminding the public that campfires are not permitted in parks and could result in fines of up to $1,000.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related Articles

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026

VANCOUVER – Zander Horvath knows people are talking about him. The attention comes as little…

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

August 21, 2026
Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

August 21, 2026
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

August 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Prince George emergency landing caused by plane’s engine losing power

Prince George emergency landing caused by plane’s engine losing power

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.