Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » ‘Drop in the bucket’: Sask. wildfire protection grant not enough, says fire chief
News

‘Drop in the bucket’: Sask. wildfire protection grant not enough, says fire chief

By favofcanada.caJune 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
‘Drop in the bucket’: Sask. wildfire protection grant not enough, says fire chief
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

The fire chief of a village in central Saskatchewan that battled blazes last year says a new fire grant announced by the province is not sufficient to meet the needs of his community.

The FireSmart Grant Program was announced last week by the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA) and aims to provide $40,000 to communities to obtain a FireSmart designation, which recognizes communities that have taken proactive measures to prepare for fires.

But Jim Arnold, chief of the volunteer fire department in Candle Lake, Sask., a village located over two hours northeast of Saskatoon, says his community has been waiting for compensation for its fire-protective measures and that the funding in the grant is not enough.

“$40,000 is a drop in the bucket,” said Arnold, adding his community has more than 2,700 properties that required protection, with the protection process taking three days, 20 fire department members and outside resources from the village and the province’s search and rescue team.

“Candle Lake spent $140,000 on FireSmarting the community, and we have not received any compensation from SPSA to date.”

The grant program is one of eleven initiatives announced by the SPSA in response to the same number of recommendations outlined in an independent report on the province’s 2025 wildfire response commissioned by the province last fall.

Other immediate actions announced by the SPSA include enhancing communication, introducing a simplified five-year procurement process for local vendors, and undertaking post-incident reviews that involve impacted communities.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

No timelines or dollar values have been assigned to these action items at this time, but Michael Weger, the minister responsible for the SPSA, told reporters Friday that he believes they can be “put into effect very quickly.”

The community of Wadin Bay, Sask., will be the first to receive the $40,000 FireSmart grant retroactively for costs associated with its wildfire mitigation practices.

The action items proposed in response to the independent review are being well received by residents of Denare Beach, Sask., which was devastated by last year’s wildfires, said Karen Thomson, the village’s deputy mayor.

“It really did lay bare a lot of things that we’ve been saying for the last year,” Thomson told Global News in an interview.

Thomson says she hopes to see communication between the SPSA and her community members improve after calls of concern from local residents went unanswered by the agency, leading to widespread evacuations and the destruction of nearly 400 homes.


“Local knowledge is a big piece because people know the forest, they know the lay of the land. So it’s important to take their advice when it’s given,” she said.

Meanwhile, Thomson welcomes the FireSmarting grant initiative, which is already in place in her village, but says more needs to be done on mitigation.

“You can protect the community within, but it’s important to protect the community from the perimeter as well.”

The independent report conducted by accounting firm MNP outlines “significant gaps” in prevention and mitigation strategies by the SPSA last year, with land treatment targets not grounded in wildfire risk or science.

The review says it found SPSA’s prevention and mitigation activities align with a 2017 Prairie resilience framework, with a target of treating just over 2,400 hectares of Crown land near communities by 2028, but that it could not determine how the target was made, “nor do the targets appear to be grounded in an assessment of accumulated wildfire risk or fire science.”

For one forest advocate, the new action items do not put enough focus on preventative measures.

“A lot of opportunity is lost when you’re not focusing on preventative actions. There’s a lot good, healthy forest management practices that could help forces to be more resilient to wildfires,” said Carl Neggers, CEO of Forest Saskatchewan.

Neggers says he is meeting with the ministries of public safety and environment on June 30 to bring forward his concerns on items that need to be addressed immediately.

“Currently, the board of SPSA is populated with cabinet ministers, and we think that needs to be expanded under recommendation one. We think that the industry should be a part of that board,” Neggers said.

The 2025 Saskatchewan wildfire season was the second worst on record, with more than 500 wildfires burning over 2.9 million hectares and causing the evacuation of over 10,000 people.

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related Articles

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026

An Arizona-based organization that plans to create a seaside refuge for whales retired from marine…

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

August 21, 2026
Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

August 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.