Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » Ford government scolded agency over cyber attack. Docs show it knew a month earlier
News

Ford government scolded agency over cyber attack. Docs show it knew a month earlier

By favofcanada.caJune 16, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
Ford government scolded agency over cyber attack. Docs show it knew a month earlier
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

Senior staff in the Minister of Health’s office were notified about a cyber attack at a government home care agency more than a month before the public was told, despite publicly scolding the organization for not moving faster.

Last June, an Ontario Liberal MPP raised the alarm about a cyber attack suffered by one of Ontario Health atHome’s key vendors months earlier, prompting the government to direct the arms-length organization to take action.

“Our government expects all service providers to uphold the highest standards of patient care, security and confidence,” the Ministry of Health wrote in a statement three months after Ontario Medical Supply suffered a ransomware attack.

“This includes taking immediate steps to identify when there has been a cyber breach and to notify the Ministry of Health immediately. The fact that this process was not followed is unacceptable.”

New documents obtained by Global News, however, suggest the agency told senior political staff about the breach within days of confirmation that patient data had been impacted.

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

Get weekly health news

Receive the latest medical news and health information delivered to you every Sunday.

The initial ransomware software infiltrated vendor Ontario Medical Supply’s systems in mid-March and the “payload” was delivered on April 13, according to records from Ontario Health atHome.

The next day, Ontario Medical Supply told Ontario Health atHome it was suffering a system outage. It wasn’t until May 21 that the vendor was able to confirm patient data had been impacted.

Now, new records obtained by Global News suggest that information was quickly passed to political staff and civil servants at the Ministry of Health.

A calendar invitation was sent to six senior staff in Health Minister Sylvia Jones’ office on May 23. The meeting was to provide a “briefing on any impacts and next steps following the Ontario Medical Supply (OMS) system outage.”

The meeting, which appears to have taken place on May 30, was sent to Jones’ chief of staff as well as the deputy minister, the most senior civil servant in the Ministry of Health.

“It’s astonishing to think that they were aware personal health information for hundreds of thousands of Ontario patients may have been compromised and they sat on that,” Ontario Liberal MPP Adil Shamji told Global News.


“A government cannot lead, they cannot earn trust, they cannot solve problems if it is constantly running from the truth. The minister of health, Sylvia Jones, has always insisted she acted as soon as she knew. We now have incontrovertible evidence that the Ministry of Health actually did know.”

The Ministry of Health did not directly answer questions from Global News over why it did not move to immediately inform patients about the data breach.

Instead, a spokesperson sent a statement outlining the order of events.

“Ontario Health at Home (OHaH), once notified by OMS, a third-party medical supplies provider of the cybersecurity attack, alerted the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) and diligently followed the IPC’s advice in the process of informing those whose health information had been breached,” they wrote.

Documents previously obtained by Global News confirmed the cyber attack was ransomware and suggested that a ransom was paid to the hackers.

“This is an agency that has been plagued with problems almost from the moment of its conception,” Shamji added. “There have been massive challenges in home care, and that’s putting it lightly.”

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related Articles

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026

An Arizona-based organization that plans to create a seaside refuge for whales retired from marine…

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

August 21, 2026
Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

August 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.