Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Brief shutdown of Bearspaw water main coming in September for Calgary region

Brief shutdown of Bearspaw water main coming in September for Calgary region

August 20, 2026
Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

August 20, 2026
Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

August 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » Montreal scraps Outremont modular housing project amid contamination concerns
News

Montreal scraps Outremont modular housing project amid contamination concerns

By favofcanada.caJuly 9, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
Montreal scraps Outremont modular housing project amid contamination concerns
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

The City of Montreal has cancelled plans to build 30 modular housing units on a vacant lot in Outremont, citing soil contamination and escalating costs, a decision that has drawn criticism from opposition politicians and housing advocates.

The project would have added a third modular housing site in the city, joining similar developments in Ahuntsic-Cartierville and at the former Hippodrome site in the city’s Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce borough. The city had already spent about $1 million preparing the Outremont property for the installation of the units.

Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada said the project was no longer financially viable due to the level of decontamination required at the site.

“For a modular home to really work, it has to be under a hundred thousand dollars a door,” she said. “The project we had on our hands was over two hundred thousand, because they didn’t take into account the decontamination.”

The opposition at city hall says it does not understand why the project was abandoned, especially as Montreal continues to grapple with housing affordability and homelessness.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

“For me it’s absolutely unacceptable,” said opposition housing critic Élise Tanguay.

Tanguay argued modular housing offered a quick solution to increase the supply of transitional housing.

“We must build. We must build fast and that was an easy way, and a fast way to build more housing for homeless people,” she said.

The city maintains contamination concerns ultimately led to the decision to cancel the project. Opposition members note the land was decontaminated in 2013, but city officials say that cleanup did not bring the property up to standards required for residential use.

“Decontamination doesn’t mean it was decontaminated to the level of residential,” Martinez Ferrada said.

Outremont borough Mayor Laurent Desbois said in a social media post that testing revealed potential Type C or D contamination on the site. Residential developments, whether temporary or permanent, require a Type B rating.

Environmental toxicologist Daniel Green said soil classified as Type A is considered clean, while Type B reflects normal urban contamination levels.


“When you start getting C and D then you start getting soils that are too dangerous,” Green said.

Despite those concerns, the opposition remains unconvinced the project should have been cancelled, pointing out that a small community farm already operates on the same parcel of land.

Community organizations also expressed disappointment, saying neighbourhoods such as Parc-Extension are in urgent need of more transitional housing.

Advocates point to the death of homeless migrant Manjeet Singh earlier this year as an example of the consequences of inadequate shelter options.

“One of the findings that came out of the coroner’s report was that hypothermia was a major contributor to his death,” said Amy Darwish of the Parc Extension Action Committee.

“In other words, if there had been a warming shelter, if there had been a shelter, if there had been transitional housing that he could have gone to, he would not have died.”

Community groups are now urging the city to identify an alternative site or develop another plan to deliver additional transitional housing units.

 

Related Articles

Brief shutdown of Bearspaw water main coming in September for Calgary region

Brief shutdown of Bearspaw water main coming in September for Calgary region

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Even if U.S. alcohol returns to provincial shelves, will Canadians buy it?

Even if U.S. alcohol returns to provincial shelves, will Canadians buy it?

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Kids running lemonade stand assaulted, woman facing charges: Windsor police

Kids running lemonade stand assaulted, woman facing charges: Windsor police

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026

Three men facing extradition to the United States over their alleged involvement in transnational drug…

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

August 20, 2026
‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

‘It’s heartbreaking,’ says Ontario First Nation amid 2nd evacuation this summer

August 20, 2026
Sandra Bullock speaks out for 1st time on death of partner Bryan Randall

Sandra Bullock speaks out for 1st time on death of partner Bryan Randall

August 20, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks

Congo to receive 70K doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine used in past outbreaks

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

Canadian travel to the U.S. increases for 3rd month in a row

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
Even if U.S. alcohol returns to provincial shelves, will Canadians buy it?

Even if U.S. alcohol returns to provincial shelves, will Canadians buy it?

By favofcanada.caAugust 20, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Brief shutdown of Bearspaw water main coming in September for Calgary region

Brief shutdown of Bearspaw water main coming in September for Calgary region

August 20, 2026
Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

Drug trafficking suspects sought by U.S. may seek trial in Canada instead

August 20, 2026
Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

Runners from botched Edmonton race may still qualify for Boston Marathon

August 20, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.