Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

August 22, 2026
Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

August 22, 2026
Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

August 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » Most OSAP growth came from career college students, documents show
News

Most OSAP growth came from career college students, documents show

By favofcanada.caJune 5, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
Most OSAP growth came from career college students, documents show
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

When Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s government drastically cut student assistance grants earlier this year, it cited “unsustainable” costs, but new figures show nearly all of the recent growth was among career college students.

Data obtained by The Canadian Press through a freedom-of-information request shows that between the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years, the province spent $465 million more on Ontario Student Assistance Program grants, and 95 per cent of that went to private career college students.

That points to a problem of the government’s own making and the solution did not have to penalize students at universities and publicly funded colleges, opposition critics said.

“Doug Ford used the rising cost of OSAP as his excuse to gut student aid, slashing the grant portion from 85 per cent down to 25 per cent and leaving students to take on more debt,” Liberal critic for colleges and universities Tyler Watt wrote in a statement.

“These numbers show that excuse doesn’t hold up.”

When students apply for Ontario financial aid they are also assessed for federal assistance, and the new data shows that while overall both the Ontario and federal portions of what students have been receiving are on the rise, one category stands out.

University students received about $370 million in Ontario Student Grants in 2023-24, an amount that actually decreased the following year to about $354 million. Students at publicly funded colleges received $349 million in 2023-24 and $386 million the next year. Canada Student Grants rose at relatively similar paces.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

Career college students, however, received about $554 million in Ontario Student Grants in 2023-24, and the following year they received about $994 million.

That is more than the amount of Ontario Students Grants for public college and university students combined.

During the same time period, the amount of Canada Student Grants those same students received was far lower, and was a smaller relative increase, from $201 million in 2023-24 to $338 million the next year.

NDP Leader Marit Stiles said with most of the increase coming in career college usage, it looks like the government was just looking for an excuse to cut all OSAP spending.

“I think they were unwilling to only make cuts that impacted their friends at the private career colleges,” she said.

“It just shows me that they never actually explored options that would have saved the program, and it’s students that are going to pay the price.”

When Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s government drastically cut student assistance grants earlier this year, it cited “unsustainable” costs, but new figures show nearly all of the recent growth was among career college students.

Data obtained by The Canadian Press through a freedom-of-information request shows that between the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years, the province spent $465 million more on Ontario Student Assistance Program grants, and 95 per cent of that went to private career college students.

That points to a problem of the government’s own making and the solution did not have to penalize students at universities and publicly funded colleges, opposition critics said.


“Doug Ford used the rising cost of OSAP as his excuse to gut student aid, slashing the grant portion from 85 per cent down to 25 per cent and leaving students to take on more debt,” Liberal critic for colleges and universities Tyler Watt wrote in a statement.

“These numbers show that excuse doesn’t hold up.”

When students apply for Ontario financial aid they are also assessed for federal assistance, and the new data shows that while overall both the Ontario and federal portions of what students have been receiving are on the rise, one category stands out.

University students received about $370 million in Ontario Student Grants in 2023-24, an amount that actually decreased the following year to about $354 million. Students at publicly funded colleges received $349 million in 2023-24 and $386 million the next year. Canada Student Grants rose at relatively similar paces.

Career college students, however, received about $554 million in Ontario Student Grants in 2023-24, and the following year they received about $994 million.

That is more than the amount of Ontario Students Grants for public college and university students combined.

During the same time period, the amount of Canada Student Grants those same students received was far lower, and was a smaller relative increase, from $201 million in 2023-24 to $338 million the next year.

NDP Leader Marit Stiles said with most of the increase coming in career college usage, it looks like the government was just looking for an excuse to cut all OSAP spending.

“I think they were unwilling to only make cuts that impacted their friends at the private career colleges,” she said.

“It just shows me that they never actually explored options that would have saved the program, and it’s students that are going to pay the price.”

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press

Related Articles

Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026
Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to speak publicly on Saturday morning for the first…

Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

August 22, 2026
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

Unifor, General Motors reach tentative deal for thousands of Ontario auto workers

August 22, 2026
Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

Carney to speak as U.S.-Canada trade talks fall apart, 50% tariffs hit

August 22, 2026
Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

Ebola quarantine hindering response: aid workers

August 22, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.