Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

What's On
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
  • Home
  • News
  • Money
  • Living
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Sci-Tech
  • Travel
  • More
    • Sports
    • Web Stories
    • Global
    • Press Release
Fav of CanadaFav of Canada
You are at:Home » Ontario jail forced to take servers offline after suffering ‘breach’ of security systems
News

Ontario jail forced to take servers offline after suffering ‘breach’ of security systems

By favofcanada.caJune 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram WhatsApp Email Tumblr LinkedIn
Ontario jail forced to take servers offline after suffering ‘breach’ of security systems
Share
Facebook Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Email

An Ontario jail has been forced to scale back its operations and take some of its servers offline after suffering an unidentified cyber breach at the beginning of the month.

Staff at the Central East Correctional Centre in Lindsay, Ont., realized the jail had suffered a “breach related to its security systems” sometime on June 1.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of the Solicitor General’s office told Global News the correctional facility moved to its “continuity of operations plan.”

That involves scaling back how the jail operates but stops short of a full lockdown. The government said key day-to-day operations like attending court, showering and health care are all still being provided.

It’s unclear which parts of the jail’s security systems were hit by the outage or how exactly it has constrained the jail’s operations for the past two-plus weeks.

“The affected servers have been taken offline while work is underway to address the breach,” the solicitor general’s office said. “The Ontario Provincial Police have been engaged, and an investigation is underway.”

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

They said inmate data was not included in the servers that were hit, but offered few other details.

“The Ministry continues to support the safe operations of CECC, while work is underway to get the system back up and running,” they added.

It’s not clear if the attack was a ransomware attack — which have been suffered by other public bodies like school boards or home care vendors —or another cyber issue. The government also could not say how long the scaled-back operations at the Lindsay jail would continue.

Ontario Liberal MPP Adil Shamji urged the government to make more information about the incident and potential threat public.

“The discovery that a provincial correctional facility has had its security system compromised and been forced to resort to a contingency operations plan is deeply alarming,” he said.


“The description of the incident raises major concerns that this may be more than a data breach and that prison security has been specifically targeted. If this includes surveillance systems and access control equipment like gates or locks, the public deserves to know immediately.”

Data from October 2025, previously obtained by Global News, suggests there are more than 1,400 inmates in the Central East Correctional Centre.

On Oct. 8, 2025, it was operating at 142 per cent, making it more overcrowded than the provincewide average of 131 per cent.

Shamji also pointed to a cyber-attack suffered by a vendor for Ontario Health atHome in early 2025, which the government didn’t disclose until months after it happened.

“As we live in an increasingly digital world, the threats facing our public institutions and critical infrastructure are growing more sophisticated and more frequent,” he added.

“Now is the time for Ontario to strengthen its cybersecurity capacity to protect sensitive information, defend essential services, and — most importantly — keep Ontarians safe.”

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Related Articles

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

By favofcanada.caAugust 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Add A Comment

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026

An Arizona-based organization that plans to create a seaside refuge for whales retired from marine…

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026
New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

New information leads Quebec police watchdog to investigate fatal car crash

August 21, 2026
Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

Where’s the Walter Cup? PWHL trophy missing after not arriving in Alberta

August 21, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Our Picks
N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

N.S. fishers plan appeal after court dismisses lobster treaty rights case

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

Squamish Search and Rescue called out to look for missing woman

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

Ontario Premier Doug Ford silent on request to restock American alcohol

By favofcanada.caAugust 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Fav of Canada is your one-stop website for the latest Canada's trends and updates, follow us now to get the news that matters to you.

We're accepting new partnerships right now.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +44 7741 486006

Our Picks
Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canada kick in as trade talks stall

August 22, 2026
Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

Whale sanctuary project secures 20-year Nova Scotia lease despite ongoing opposition

August 21, 2026
Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

Horvath hitting highs for streaking B.C. Lions

August 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest Canada's trends and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest TikTok
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
© 2026 Fav of Canada. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.